Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Male celebrity takes 20 women home, is a hero. What if a woman took home 20 men?

So yesterday, as I was indulging in my daily "what's trending" on Facebook, I see the story about Leonardo DiCaprio taking 20 girls home after his break up. The feed was going wild with hashtags ranging from #Leostheman to #Leoismyhero. I myself was like "daaaaang, 20 chicks, that's bananas!" Then I said to myself, "self, I wonder what the world would do, what would be trending, if a woman had done this. What if some A list celebrity woman left the club with 20 men???

Here's what I think... The feed would be full of hashtags calling her a whore, a slut, dirty and yes, even ratchet. I think this woman would be treated like she was on trial for taking these men home. Her morality would be questioned and part of me even thinks that her credibility might be tainted, She'd probably have to worry if roles would be limited because of what she did. No one would think "she's the woman!" or want to high five her down the street. She would be doing the walk of shame until some other celebrity does something to take the spotlight of shame off of her.

Yes I know it's 2014 but sadly I still think that society thinks that a whore is only a whore if it's a woman, otherwise "you're the man"

No comments:

Post a Comment